Search the Blog

Over and Back Again

DD#1 and I left Monday morning for Spokane so she could take her OT licensing exam. The ride over was interesting; I took my usual backroad route which was—like most of the roads in the area—snowcovered and icy. There is one section about three miles long that consists of a trek down a fairly steep hill with a lot of switchbacks. Several people in front of us seemed to have forgotten about the "snowcovered and icy" part of the equation, because we saw a couple of cars that had landed ass-end up in snowbanks along the side of the road. We crept down the hill at about 30 mph. Once we made it over Lookout Pass, it was fairly smooth sailing into Spokane. 

One of the items on my to-do list for this trip was to pick up a Necchi Supernova sewing machine for a lady on the Facebook Necchi list. She lives in Boise and I offered to pick up and keep the machine until April and deliver it to her when I go down there. The seller and I had texted back and forth last week and made arrangements for me to pick it up at 4 p.m. on Monday afternoon. I texted the seller again on Monday morning just to confirm and she said that yes, it was okay to come get the machine. 

DD#1 and I had some time to kill when we got to Spokane, so we stopped at Jo-Ann Fabrics (of course) to check out the remnant rack. While I was standing there, a young guy (30-ish) walked by pushing a toddler in a cart. He said to the toddler as they went by me, "Dad needs to find a presser foot for his Universal machine." My vintage sewing machine antennae went way up. I watched him walk around for a few more minutes looking—unsuccessfully—for presser feet. I went and stood by the end-cap where the sewing machine parts are located (such as they are), and intercepted him the next time he went by. 

The two of us had a nice chat about vintage sewing machines. The Universal belonged to his grandmother and he wanted to get it up and running. Jo-Anns has a miserable selection of sewing machine parts consisting only of basic snap-on presser feet. He wanted a regular straight-stitch presser foot. I asked if he was a local (he was) and then suggested that he try the sew-vac store a few miles away on Tuesday. I hope he was able to find something suitable. 

[I do not live in Spokane but obviously I am not above giving vintage sewing machine shopping advice to random strangers.]

Somehow, despite me having texted her just a few hours earlier to confirm that I was coming to get the machine, the seller had forgotten that I was going to show up. When I got there, it took about 15 minutes to get the back gate unfrozen enough that we could open it and get a machine out through it. However, the machine was still buried in the back of the garage, surrounded by several pieces of very large, very heavy furniture. These were very nice people who obviously had a lot going on and they were very apologetic. We finally agreed that I would come back the following day and they would have the machine out and ready to go. 

I dropped DD#1 off at the testing center Tuesday morning and then went off to check the various trap lines. I hit up all the thrift stores and fabric stores on the north side of Spokane because that is where the testing center was and I didn't want to stray too far. I picked up a few remnants and dropped off pillowcases for the hospital. DD#1 finished her test in about four hours. We had lunch at Nordstrom Cafe (salad Nicoise, yum), did some shopping there, and the stopped at the quilt store so I could get a couple of yards of the new Gonzaga fabric. By then, it was time to meet the seller again to (hopefully) pick up a sewing machine.

As promised, they did have it ready and it only took about 15 minutes to get it out of the table and get the table and machine loaded into the car. DD#1 and I finished off the day with a great dinner at downtown. She thanked me for coming with her. She said that she would have been a lot more stressed about her licensing exam if she had had to drive over there by herself (she doesn't love driving as much as I do). I completely get it. Sometimes, when faced with a big hurdle to get over, it's really nice to have someone else clear the decks for you so you can focus on what you need to do. I was happy to be able to do that for her. 

It took us a good six hours to get home yesterday. I wasn't going to try going home the backroad route again, so we stayed on I-90 from the Idaho line over to Missoula and then went north to Kalispell. I said to the husband that it baffles me that the Idaho side of Lookout Pass is clear and dry. The Montana side of the pass resembles a tobaggan run. You would think that the state of Montana didn't own any snowplows. He says that not clearing the roads properly is a defensive tactic to keep people from California from moving here. Personally, I think this is enough to deter most of them:

It is so very pretty to look at, though. 

I need to start working on some projects again before I break out in hives. It's been a long couple of weeks out of creative action. 

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (2)

"Checking the trap lines" :-) I will be borrowing that.

January 5, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterMarcia in Austin

The husband came up with that one. :)

January 6, 2018 | Unregistered CommenterJanet Szabo

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>
« Creative Constipation | Main | Hello 2018! »