Search the Blog


My sister got me several farm animal and gardening-themed coffee mugs for Christmas. I was thrilled because we need to cull the existing mug collection (DD#2 is going to take a bunch back to Spokane with her) and because the ones she got me were oversized mugs. I really like big coffee mugs. One of the long-term leftover side effects of chemo has been cold sensitivity in my hands and feet. It's hard for me to type when my fingers are stiff, so I drink a lot of hot tea during the winter. Larger mugs mean fewer trips to the kitchen for refills. 

I thought this one was pretty funny:

There was one with a sheep and another one with a chicken, but this mug was the clear winner:

I will especially enjoy drinking tea out of this one. 


It's been snowing pretty steadily since Wednesday morning. We are awaiting the arrival of several huge waves of moisture on top of a cold air mass. We already have about two feet out there from last week's storm and what accumulated this week, and the prediction is for another couple of feet between this morning and tomorrow night. Unfortunately, before the cold air mass sank down from Canada, we got a plume of some much warmer air from the south. The dogs thought 4:00 a.m. was a good time to get up this morning, and when I came down to let them out for a few minutes, I noticed that the temperature was about 33 degrees and the snow had changed over—briefly—to rain. I put them back in the laundry room and went back to bed for a couple of hours. When I came down again at 6:00 a.m., the temperature had dropped to 20 degrees and we were back to snow. It's a crunchy, icy mess out there now. 

Lila's foot is still bandaged; the vet said that as long as it did not get wet, we could leave the bandage on the full three weeks. I ordered a set of nylon dog boots the day after she got stitches. We put the boot on her foot whenever she has to go out and that has worked really well. (Whichever one of us puts the boot on usually gets treated to a complimentary face-licking.) The dogs are spending most of their time inside, though. The husband doesn't like to have them out there when he is plowing because they have a habit of standing in the exact spot he is trying to clear. 


I need to get through hospital list today and then I have an entire day tomorrow to do nothing but play with fabric (and help the husband move snow, if he needs help). I am not quite at the point where I can unbox and try out the steam press yet, but at least I can work on some pillowcases and other small items. I am also really enjoying having my kids around for a bit. They are such interesting adults and it's fun to spend some time with them. DD#2's boyfriend is flying in for a visit next week. He will stay with us until he and DD#2 are ready to drive back to Gonzaga (he's a junior there, too). 

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments (1)

Love the mugs...always been a sucker for mugs and I also need to cull every once in a while. Sister did well...especially the buttercup! When Ashley was married she had a mug rack at the reception and since it was a brunch everyone was encouraged to take a mug. We had a lot of fun scouring Goodwill and garage sales so we had enough! Our neighbor is a retired librarian and I am cat sitting while she is gone. She watched ours last week. We are to get a couple of inches today...we'll see. Enjoy the time with the girls and glad Thomas is better.

December 29, 2017 | Unregistered CommenterDoreen

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>
« End of 2017 Miscellany | Main | Old Traditions New Ways »